WHO ARE YOU?
Really, like who are you?
Many of us have gotten this question over the year, we’ve even asked ourselves this same question, but we typically stop short of actually answering the question – instead we describe what we’ve done, what we have, what we are currently doing, but that’s not who you are. Not really.
If you play football – that’s what you do – but who are you if you get injured?
If you are a crypto investor – that’s your career – but who are you when/if it crashes?
If you are a mother – that’s one of your roles – but did you not exist until you had children?
If you are an influencer – that’s your impact – but what if you have a post that flops?
I could go on and on but I think you get the point – if we define ourselves by what we do or what we have, then our identity is constantly up for grabs – to the next trend, fad or at the mercies of the things that influence us.
But what if we were able to clearly define who we are – not based on what we do or have, but based on the true essence of ourselves? That’s the game changer because no matter what the circumstances, my identity is secure.
This weekend I attended Author Advantage Live 2022 with Self Publishing School and I was inspired to write my own Identity Mission Statement by Pedro, one of the speakers and coaches of the program.
I’ll be sharing the link to mine below – but first I want to encourage you to write your own.
Before you get started, here are a few things to remember:
- There is NO wrong way to do this. It’s yours, take ownership.
- Get away from what you do or have done and talk about who you are and who you want to become.
- It’s ok (actually favorable) if you feel you still need to grow into some of the characteristics that you place in your mission statement
- Focus on characteristics, not just roles. If you include a role – clearly define what that role means to you, not a universal definition.
- Hold space for yourself. This isn’t a one and done process and definitely can evolve as you become more yourself.
So let’s get started! Ready to write your Identity Mission Statement? Check out my post on Instagram as well, for more direction…